Yesterday I decided that the days of my HTC Tattoo running original HTC-Android-1.6 were numbered – finally. Actually the thought about updating was in my mind for QUITE some time. But with all the different how-to-update guides and “oh my god I broke my phone”-posts, I was really frustrated and unsure if I should really risk to “brick” my phone (a.k.a.: turn it totally unusable).
Well okay – so I crawled the web once more for an up-to-date update guide. Well – to make a (rather) long story short: I achieved my goal!
I made some more restarts and so on, but the fastest way should be:
- Make a list of Apps that you don’t want to miss or check Google Play if your apps are listed there.
- Download CyanogenMod zip and the Google Apps zip to the SD Card of the phone.
- Download and run 1 Click Root and/or Recovery (This roots the phone and installs ClockworkMod which is needed to install a new ROM)
- Reboot the phone into recovery mode (press home and power button ~20s until you are in recovery mode)
- Backup the system to the SD Card
- perform a factory reset (really needed?)
- Install Cyanogen and Google Apps
- Reinstall apps
- Make a donation to CanogenMod
As I said: really easy thanks to the 1 Click Root and/or Recovery script!
- If you love your phone: DON’T DO IT!
- YOUR WARRANTY WILL VOID
- If something really fails, YOUR PHONE MIGHT BE DAMAGED IRREVERSIBLY
- Do NOT ASK ME for support if you brick your phone. There are plenty of forums out there with lots of experts.